Need some tips to help you with the uphill climb?
We have 6 tips for cycling uphill to help you with your rides.
1. Build stamina
Find a hill you can conquer and ride up for 5 minutes. Ride back down the hill and rest at the bottom for 5 minutes. Repeat two more times.
2. Lean out, don’t bulk
The hulk may be awesome but he isn’t built for cycling, cycling requires lean muscle. Try adding yoga or plyometrics to your workouts.
3. Focus, focus, focus
Practice focus tecniques such as:
- breath control
- keep a high cadence and stand to accelerate
- envision yourself making it to the top of the hill in triumph
- ride for someone else
4. Have a gearing strategy
Don’t just shift gears. Between 75 and 85 is the optimum cadence for most riders riding uphill.
5. Power position
Put your body in power position by:
- opening your chest to allow for deep breaths
- release any tension you are holding
- leverage your arms and core for power
- saddle for force
6. Will the real slim shady please stand up
Stand up strategically. Standing up is used for surging, sprinting, and on longer climbs. Be sure to stretch your back and legs.